Key-Payroll Frequently Asked Questions
1. My distributions are off by one penny compared to my total payroll. What did I do wrong?
An employee’s master file first has a percentage in the all of the distributions. When there are multiple distributions listed, one distribution has to always be zero.
2. I just printed checks. I gave too many hours to one of my employees. How do I correct this?
From the Navigator Tree, double click on the Payfiles button. Highlight the payfile and double click. Highlight the employee with too many hours. Click the “Void/Delete” button. This will void the check with too many hours. Now click the “Add new record” button. And add this person back to the payfile. Follow the normal process for editing and printing employee checks.
3. How can I keep a summer employee from generating into the payfile all winter?
After his last check of the summer, enter a termination date in the TERM DATE field in master file. When he returns to work the next summer remove the termination date.
4. Where do I get my Month-To-Date payfile totals?
Go to a Report Icon and Select Show Reports “All” and double click the Payfile Totals Detail Report. Choose Date Range “Check Date” and select current month or last month. Click on “OK” button to preview report.
5. How do I cross check the amounts on the 941 quarterly report?
From the Navigator Tree Double click the 941 Report. Then click the ”Add new record” button. Choose the quarter for which you want the 941 generated. Select the pay groups you wish included on the 941. Click the “Save” button. Click on the Report Icon to choose the 941 Transaction Report, the 941 Report, or the 941 Schedule B Report. You can double check these figures by running the Payfile Totals Detail Report with the Date Range “Check Date” selected and either current quarter or last quarter selected. Other reports that total the same information include: Payfile Totals Summary, FICA/Med Distribution Summary, Payfile Employee Summary, and Employee Payfile History.
6. I just ran payroll and the distribution for police officers is too much. What is wrong?
Do you have non-police officers wages included in that distribution? Run a Distribution Detail report for that payfile and check the employees listed for that distribution number.
7. We have decided to go on the Cafeteria Plan (PL 125). How do I set this up in the middle of the year?
Do NOT just change the deductions affected to the 125-deduction type. You do not want to mingle the YTD deduction amounts and then try to reconcile W2s at the end of the year. Set up new deductions in the deduction table and mark them as 125-deduction types. Put an end date on the old deduction in each affected employee’s masterfile and add the new 125-deduction.
8. How do I get elected officials off the Quarterly Employment Report?
Are your elected officials in a separate pay group? If they are do not select that pay group when creating the report. If they are not in a separate pay group, after the report is created you may open the file and delete the elected officials individually from the grid.
9. An insurance deduction was not withheld from one of my employee’s checks. Why?
Does the employee have the deduction set up correctly in his masterfile? Check the start and end dates. Is there an end date? Do other employees have this deduction? If not, was the deduction properly checked on the deduction selection form when the payfile was created? Is this a limited deduction and has this employee reached the limit? Are the deduction limit date(s) set up correctly?
10. How do I set up deferred compensation? What if we have employer share, too?
Add the Deferred Comp deduction to the Deduction Table, marking the Deferred Comp deduction type. Be sure the vendor field has vendor selected from the drop down. Verify that FICA and Med taxes were checked when selecting the DefComp type. Go to the employee grid; add the deduction to the employee job deduction list.
If Employer Share Def Comp applies, add the deduction to the deduction table. Verify that the paytype exists in the pay type table and marked correctly. Add the deduction AND the paytype to the employee masterfile.
11. Two of my employees are not showing up on my Monthly Payroll Summary. Why?
Check the dates, the employee records you are missing may have dates outside the range you requested. Go to a Report Icon and Select Show Reports “All”. Double click the Employee Payfile History Report. Choose Date Range “All Payfiles”. Choose Group Range “Selected Employees”. Select the employee and click the “OK” button to preview the report.
12. I am running a payroll. I need to deduct insurance on everyone except one employee. How do I do this and what if it is subject to PL125?
After creating your payfile making sure the insurance deduction is properly checked in the deduction selection form, open the payfile, open the check of the employee that you do not want to withhold the deduction. Open the job, go to the deduction tab and delete the deduction from this check. Close back out to the check grid, the taxes will re-calculate.
13. My payroll checks got jammed in the printer, what do I do? Half of my checks are fine.
Restore before printing checks, go to print selected entries, use the same beginning check number, select the entries you have already printed and reprint on paper. Go back into print selected entries and select the entries you have not yet printed, use the correct next beginning check and print the balance of the payfile.
14. How do I set up multiple direct deposits for one employee? What if it is for a deduction that already exists?
Make sure all the correct banks are set up in the Bank Table. Go to the Employee grid, open the employee record open the job, go to the direct deposit tab. Add each direct deposit record with the dollar amount for each; leave one amount blank to pickup the balance of the net. If no blank DD record is left the balance will be printed on a check.
If you are changing a current Christmas Club deduction to a DD, for example, be sure to put an end date on the original deduction. Make sure the end date is at least a day before the start date of the current payfile.
15. I refunded an employee $125.00 for insurance on a claim check. It is subject to PL125. How do I correct his payroll masterfile and taxes?
Go to the payfile where you withheld the deduction incorrectly. Open the check, open the job, and go to the deduction tab. Highlight the deduction that was refunded, click the delete button, and say yes to create a refund check. Say ok to the “Be sure to calculate” message box. Highlight the new record and calculate it. Open the record, input the check number, check date, start and end date of the payfile and save.
This is based on your having withheld the correct taxes when you issued the refund check, did you? If not override the taxes in the refund check to match the check you issued.
16. I need to set up another deduction for an employee. What do I do?
Make sure the new deduction is already set up in the deduction table. Go to the employee grid, open the employee, open the job, go to the deduction tab and add a new record.
17. I am trying to override the taxes on a deduction but there is no override button. Why?
You can only override taxes in the post deduction pay deduction. Be sure the override amount is the total of that tax that should come out of this check. The program will re-distribute the amount to the deductions.
18. I need to set up more distributions in the distribution table, but there is nowhere to put the appropriation numbers. Why?
Appropriation Transfer is not selected on the Keystone Only tab in System Settings.
19. I sent my direct deposit file to the bank, but it was the wrong dates and amounts. What is wrong?
Did you forget to create the direct deposit file for the current payfile? The old file remains in the subdirectory until it is overridden.
20. My sewage employees have two different rates of pay. I have to distribute each rate to a different appropriation. How can I do this?
Use normal for the one most used and set up another paytype for the other rate for these employees, each distributed to the proper distribution. Do not set up two normals. Name the second paytype something else.
21. I need to void a check and re-issue a new one. How can I do this?
Open the payfile, highlight the check you have to void, click the delete button. Print the voided record through print selected entries. Add a new check record, make sure it is calculated and print it through print selected entries.
22. I just printed checks. I gave too many hours to one of my employees. How do I correct this?
If the employee already has the check, he can give it back and you can void it and issue a new check. If he has already cashed it, you can adjust his next check. If you haven’t distributed the checks yet, you can void it and reprint a new one.
23. I want to reset my PTO taken fields and I can’t find a button to do that in the PTO section. Where do I do this?
Go to Housekeeping| Reset/Year End Routines | Reset PTO
24. I want to set up longevity. How do I do this? (Explain how it is set up in program to pay.)
Add the longevity paytype to each employee masterfile. If you have different types of Longevity add them to the paytype table, marked as longevity. When you create a payfile select the longevity that applies to this payfile from the Longevity selection box.
25. How do I set up a garnishment? What if I have clearing and want the cause number to print on my clearing check in Budwin?
Add the deduction to the deduction table. Calculate the amount necessary for the employee and in the employee masterfile add the deduction to the employee job placing the amount in the amount field.
If you are using the clearing module you may put the name and/or cause number in the deduction description field and when you create clearing entries the program will copy paywin description to the description field in Budwin.
26. I need to pay a teacher additional pay that doesn't effect his contract. How can I do this?
Make sure there is an appropriate paytype (Like Stipend, Saturday School, or Other) in the paytype table. Add a paytype to either the employee’s masterfile (if it is re-occurring) or to the check record in the current payfile and make sure it is marked as a non-contract paytype.
27. I don't want my salary distributed by percentages. Can I set this up another way? I need dollar amounts to General, Water, and Sewer. I have to go by the ordinance, and I can't exceed my appropriation.
If your salary ordinance is not broken down per hour or per pay period determine what those flat dollar amounts would be. Make sure the paytype you are distributing has a salary amount or an amount per hour. As you add distributions one at a time, input the dollar amount, the program will calculate the percentage. Leave the last distribution blank to pick up the balance.
28. Why is there a non-cash benefit tab on the unemployment creation screen?
”Life Insurance over $50,000.00” is the only non-cash benefit that is taxable for the purpose of SUTA. The mover list displays all non-cash benefits and allows you to select only “LIOF” to include in the SUTA taxable wage.
29. I calculated my payroll, but it didn't withhold any state taxes on one of my employees. Why?
Does the employee have a state selected on his Tax Information tab in his masterfile?
30. I am trying to print only selected entries and I am getting an error. Why?
You may need to install windows support files from your paywin CD.
31. How do I issue two checks for one person during payroll?
Create your payfile as you normally would with that employee listed only once. After it is created, add another record for this employee. Why, you ask? If you move the employee over twice in the same creation the record ids for this employee will be consecutive and therefore combine to one check. If you add the second record for this employee after creation the record id is at the bottom of this list and will not combine.
32. How is federal tax figured in the program? An employee doesn't think it's withholding enough tax. I need to know what to tell him.
The program takes the federal taxable amount for this check, multiplies it times the number of pays to get an annualized amount, subtracts the number of exemptions, the result of which is applied to the annual table in Publication 15 (circular E) to determine the tax amount. Then divides that tax amount by the number of pays to get a pay period amount and adds any additional withholding requested. You should be able to compare the federal wages on the check to the appropriate table in Publication 15 and come within a dollar of the table amount.
33. What is the PERF Report? When is it processed and turned in to the State?
Public Employees Retirement Fund is a quarterly reporting PERF wages and contributions
34. I need to get a retirement report for my police and firemen. Where do I get this report?
After creating your report you may print any location or group of location by checking the group by location box and using the location mover.
35. I don't want to withhold income taxes on my board members. How can I do this?
Put 99 exemptions in the Federal Exemptions and State Exemptions fields on the Tax Information tab the employee masterfile.
36. How can I get an employee out of this payfile? What if this employee will not be back to work this year?
If you haven’t created yet, move the employee back from the right side of the mover. If you have already created, open the payfile, highlight the employee and delete the check record. If the employee is terminated put a termination date in the employee masterfile
37. I need a new printout of my distribution table. Where is it?
Print the Distribution Master List either from the distribution table or from anywhere by clicking the ALL button on the Report Screen.
38. I forgot to set up an employee's credit union last pay period. She wants me to make up for the amount I didn't deduct last pay in increments during payroll. How do I do this?
After creating the payfile open this employee’s check, job, go to the deduction tab, open the deduction and edit the amount. By going all the way in this way the program will automatically recalculate the taxes for this employee.
39. The policemen's overtime comes out of another appropriation other than their Normal distribution. What do I do?
In the masterfile open the overtime paytype and assign the correct distribution.
40. I have three different types of salary to pay an employee just this time. How do I set that up?
If the additional paytypes are already set up in the paytype table you may add these additional paytypes to the check record of this employee at the payfile level.
41. I'm just now getting around to setting up sick days. How do I set these up?
Depending on whether you use anniversary date or calendar year for PTO, calculate what each employee has taken and has left. Make sure all possible PTO are set up in the paytype table in table maintenance and marked as PTO. Open each employee’s masterfile, go to the PTO Information tab, add each PTO available to this employee and fill in the taken and left fields. Do not forget to save.
42. What is the 100R Report? Where can I print one? When is it processed?
It is under annual reports in the navigator tree. It is created and printed in January and contains names, addresses (the unit address due to privacy issues) and salary/wages. It may be created by pay groups.
43. How do I change my password?
Click on the Security pull down menu on the menu bar at the top. Click on change Password. Type your new password. Retype you new password to confirm. Click save.
44. The same dollar amount is withheld on all of my police officers, but in this payfile I have one new officer that should only have half withheld. How do I do this?
Open the payfile, open the check record of the employee, open the job, go to the deduction tab, open the deduction, click on the override button, type in the amount to withhold and click save.
45. Two employees didn't have their insurance taken out. I haven’t printed the checks yet. What should I do?
You may add the insurance deduction to the check records in the payfile. Did everyone else have it taken out? Make sure the insurance deduction is set up correctly in those employees’ masterfile. You may also delete them from the payfile. Correct their masterfile and then add them back into the payfile.
46. I just got finished printing the checks and the date on them is today’s date and not payday’s. What did I do wrong?
When creating the payfile you did not enter the correct check date you wanted printed on the check.
47. After I had printed the checks, an employee told me that his paycheck was short by 8 hours. So I immediately typed him a check. Now, what do I do to get this on the computer?
Create that check in the payfile with the actual check number and date that you used and rerun your payfile reports.
48. I just realized that we deducted insurance in the amount of $5.00 on an employee by accident. The check has been handed out. How do I correct this?
Create a refund deduction check for this employee or correct it in the next payfile by editing the deduction amount by a –5.00.
49. I converted last year and I have to scroll down through all those payfiles to get to my current ones. How can I fix this?
Go to File | System Settings | Unit Information tab and check the “Put the latest Payfile at the top of the grid” box.
50. I edited one of the checks in my payfile but the net amount did not automatically change. Why?
You may have edited by using the right click method. The program does not automatically recalculate taxes using the right click method. Highlight the check record and click the calculate taxes button.
51. How do you create time card entries in paywin?
After creating the payfile right click on a time card employee, go to NORMAL and input the total number of hours to be distributed. You may edit the distributions to the correct number each, or delete and start again putting in the number of hours per distribution. Leave the last distribution blank.
52. I have been trying to look at one employee’s checks for this quarter and I have been opening each payfile for this employee. Is there another way?
Go to the employee grid, right click the employee, go to current accumulations and click the history tab.
53. My check addresses do not show correctly in my window envelope. Do I need different checks?
No, you may try the vertical check address printing options on the Unit Information tab in File | System Settings.
54. I just got an update and installed it yesterday. Today I tried to run one of the new reports and its not there any more. What happened?
Did you restore a backup after you put the update on? To be sure RE-INSTALL data update from the CD.
55. I want to give all employees except police officers a holiday PTO. Do I have to add all the others individually? Explain.
No, you may use the group PTO feature and select all but the Police Officers to give a Holiday PTO to.
56. I am in the payfile grid running payfile reports and I want to also run an employee report. Do I have to close this grid and go to the employee grid?
No, in the report screen, click ALL to view or print any report.
57. The city pays the employee 3% into PERF and I am trying to run a PERF report and two of my new employees aren’t showing up on the report. What is wrong?
Even though the unit is paying the mandatory 3% and no deduction will appear on the check stub, you must set up the Civil PERF Paid by Unit in each employee’s masterfile. This is the trigger for including the employee in the PERF report.
58. I just converted my school payroll. Will I be able to print teachers’ contracts now?
NO, not unless you previously purchased the Personnel Module. Printing Teachers contracts is part of Personnel not the standard payroll program.
59. What is a UC-5 form?
It is the state form used for filing the Employment reports quarterly.
60. I have to file the EEOC-4 report, does the program create this report for me?
Yes, but you will have to set up additional information for your employees for this to work correctly